Check Out Our Website!

Follow Us on Twitter

About Us

My Photo
TeamUfa
We are a team of people trying to reach people in Ufa and Bashkortostan in Russia. It is no small task and we want your support!
View my complete profile

Who's Visited Us

Saturday, August 9, 2014

English Camp

For about 20 days in July I lived in a small village in the southern Urals, Aigir. There are only a couple families who live there year-round. The rest of the cottages are rented to anyone looking for a vacation in the mountains.

Every year Bashkir State Pedagogical University hosts an English camp in Aigir. For sessions of ten days students can come practice their English and enjoy typical, camp activities. I was invited to participate in the camp as a “native English-speaker.”

It was a new experience for me to be surrounded by mountains and to live a more rustic lifestyle. There was no internet access and limited cell-phone service. The primary indication of civilization was the sound of the many trains that passed through the village.

The camp’s administrator told us many legends of the mountains and some of the village’s history. We were told to breathe deeply in Aigir. Surrounded by pine trees, the air was much fresher and cleaner than that of the city from which many of the students had come. It was intimidating for some of the students to speak with an American. But after being defeated at a few card games, I probably seemed a bit easier to talk to.


I appreciated the chance to live in Aigir and participate in the camp. I appreciated the opportunity to learn about the different cultures represented in Russia: Ukrainian, Georgian, Bashkir, and Tatar. I’m thankful for the many impromptu Russian language lessons from groups of students, though I won’t be using all the words I learned. And looking back, I realize that being surrounded by such natural beauty is a revelation of God that we don’t witness here in the city.

Shawn B. 









0 comments:

Post a Comment