Check Out Our Website!

Follow Us on Twitter

About Us

My Photo
TeamUfa
We are a team of people trying to reach people in Ufa and Bashkortostan in Russia. It is no small task and we want your support!
View my complete profile

Who's Visited Us

Monday, June 15, 2015

It’s A Story to Be Shared

                 There are more than 50,000 university students here in Ufa. I’ve gotten the impression from spending time with students that they’re more willing to craft their own worldview rather than accept one inherited from their parents or grandparents. Even students who claim one of the two major religions, Islam or Orthodox Christianity, only loosely follow the associated teachings. Most students seem to have developed their own ideas regarding who God is, if He exists, and how that should influence the way we live.

                  I like interacting with people and hearing their ideas and thoughts, learning how they came to arrive at this or that answer to an important question. I recently ate lunch with a few friends. We began talking about our beliefs, how they were similar and how they were different. We shared different arguments and proofs that had led us to our beliefs. I don’t like debate for its own sake; I like entering into these conversations because I want to know what people believe, what ideas guide their lives. These discussions are times when I’ve been able to share the truths of the gospel and how they guide my own life.


                  Late in the conversation, my friend Ruslan asked a different kind of question. He said, “You know, these ideas are very good to hear, but what is your personal experience with religion?” It was my favorite question to answer that day. I shared with him my testimony of how God found me and how he continued to speak to me and work in my life in the years following my salvation. And I think God has given each of us a testimony of his work in our lives. It’s a story to be shared. It’s a story about an encounter, an experience with love and forgiveness. It’s a story that transcends an argument or proof because it’s an encounter with a person, with God. I’m praying that I’ll value the story God has given me and that He’ll use it to change and redeem the stories of students who need to hear it.

Shawn B. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment