Check Out Our Website!

Follow Us on Twitter

About Us

My Photo
TeamUfa
We are a team of people trying to reach people in Ufa and Bashkortostan in Russia. It is no small task and we want your support!
View my complete profile

Who's Visited Us

Monday, July 1, 2013

Ufa-My Second Home On Earth

Ufa is my second home on Earth - my first being wherever my "boys," Dave, Josh and Caleb are. When I arrived, it was as if I had never left. I'm amazed by the loyalty of my Russian friends. They always put my needs/comforts before theirs. For example, at least 5 different people told Marina S. to tell me my "bathroom," a cube-shaped porta-potty was ready for me at the retreat center. :-) At the retreat for special needs children and their families, every time a child or his/her mother smiled was an a-ha moment for me. My goals were to help the parents and children understand that Jesus loves them, that God has a purpose for their lives, and that their disabilities are not a punishment or curse of any kind. Moreover, it was to help the parents understand that their children already have a place in Heaven, and that God graciously made that decision for them when He allowed them to be disabled. Being the mom of a teenage son with autism gave me a lot of credibility with the parents. In this way, I consider my son's autism a blessing.

A significant breakthrough was exhibited in how the special needs children interacted with one another. They had become FRIENDS, and they welcomed the new retreat participants with open arms. Even one severely autistic young girl and her mother were welcomed after a rough first few days of adjustment to the retreat setting. It was a HUGE blessing to see this mother and daughter smile and become ONE with the rest of the group. Many of the parents have been attending Bible study/respite meetings at Grace Church over the past year, so their spiritual growth was obvious. One mother (a new retreat participant), in particular, stayed up really late every night asking questions about the need for a Savior and salvation. I look forward to hearing about her conversion, because my faith in Christ assures me it WILL happen.

The biggest adjustment for me does not occur when I arrive in Ufa or at the retreat center. It occurs when I return to the States. I am saddened/frustrated by America's lack of understanding of needs/wants. Please know I do not mean to sound judgmental! I feel just as convicted, and every want I have is filtered through that conviction. When Americans part ways, they typically say, "Goodbye." I now prefer the Russian parting which may include a hug, kiss on the cheek and these words (translated): "We will wait for you..."

Sheri J.

0 comments:

Post a Comment