Check Out Our Website!

Follow Us on Twitter

About Us

My Photo
TeamUfa
We are a team of people trying to reach people in Ufa and Bashkortostan in Russia. It is no small task and we want your support!
View my complete profile

Who's Visited Us

Friday, June 25, 2010

Bible Translations Project

TeamUfa has a friend that is working on a Bible translation project translating the New Testament into Bashkir, one of the two official languages in Bashkortostan.  Along the way she has had many unique experiences as she is out doing 'field testing'.   That is the process they use to test their translation among common people.  She will give a person a portion of translated text, let them read it and then she has questions to ask them to test their comprehension.  If that person can't read then she will read it aloud, if they will let her.  Field testing has given her a lot of opportunities to speak to people about the Gospel.  Witnessing and this field testing seem to go hand-in-hand.  She has shared with us one of her stories that happened as she was with her Muslim family members doing such testing.  

I have been working with IBT for few years and during these years my parents were unhappy with me. Because they thought that I was working on translating a "Russian book" into Bashkir language and Bashkir people do not need it.  Once I forgot a Bashkir draft of the Gospel of Luke at my parents' home.  After a year or more I was back in the village and was doing field testing there.  I was reading to my aunty Ephesians aloud and asking questions that I had prepared.  During that my stepmother (who was around and doing her house work, but listening us) told me: "Oh, your father gave me almost the same thing.  Some text about God.  I think he took it from your room.  He told me to read it."  At first I even did not pay attention to her words, I was too busy with field testing.  Then she told me another time.  I was still busy.  Then one more time and finally I asked her: "Mom, what are you talking about? Please could you show me? " It was the draft of Gospel of Luke, that I forgot! "Yes, Mom,  father is right. You need to read it. It's good for both of you to read this text."

That is a bold step for an Islamic background believer.  For her to suggest to her parents that they should read any part of the bible.   Our friend is a faithful witness and takes many opportunities to share God's love with people.  It is neat sometimes how God makes other opportunities for us.  Yes, he even uses our forgetfulness!   When confronted with the unexpected chances to witness, may we be ready to tell people the truth, in love.  Remember 1 Peter 3:15, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect,".  

We would like to hear from you.  What are some unusual/unexpected witnessing opportunities you have had in the past year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment